A student must meet the following requirements to receive Financial Aid

  • be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible program
  • meet enrollment status requirements
  • be a citizen or eligible non citizen
  • have a valid social security number, if required
  • registered with the Selective Service, if applicable ( or 1-847-688-6888
  • not enrolled in elementary or secondary school
  • have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate, pass on approved ability-to-benefit test, or have been home schooled
  • meet satisfactory academic progress
  • meet the requirements as defined by individual programs
  • has not earned a four year degree, to receive a grant
  • has not been convicted of an offense involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Title IV assistance
  • not in default on any Title IV loan or, if in default, have made satisfactory repayment arrangements
  • not liable for an overpayment of a Title IV loan or grant or, if liable, have made satisfactory repayment arrangements
  • has not borrowed in excess of the annual aggregate limits on Title IV loans
  • not have property subject to a judgment lien for a debt tot he United States

How Financial Need is Determined

Financial need is determined through the information provided by you and your family on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA collects identifying and financial inforamtion about a student applying for Title IV, HEA program funds. This informaton is used to calculate the student's expected family contribution (EFC) - the amount that the student's family is expected to contribute towards the cost of attendance.

After analyzing your financial information, the federal processor sends the results to the university indicating how much you and your family should be able to contribute toward your education. Financial need is determined by the difference between the student's cost of attendance and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC).

For financial aid purposes, need is determined by the following formula:

Cost of Attendance - Family Contribution = Need

Course Incompletes, Withdrawals and Noncredit remedial courses

Grades of A, B, C, D and P are considered acceptable grades for determining the successful completion of course work during an academic term. Grades of I, W, and WP are not considered passing, but will count toward the total hours attempted. Students are required to complete coursework requirements in which a grade of 'I' is earned by the end of the next semester in which the student received the grade. Failure to meet the requirement(s) will result in that grade being changed to an 'F'.

Withdrawals do not constitute progress and has an adverse effect on satisfactory academic progress. A student that withdraws from the university will be placed on financial aid suspension and must appeal before aid is reinstated.

A student is not eligible for Title IV aid if enrolled in non-credit remedial courses.

Monitoring and Notification of Financial Aid Suspension and Probation

Satisfactory Academic Progress will be reviewed on all students at the conclusion of the Spring semester after all grades have been recorded by the Office of Student Records. Students that officially withdraw from the university will automatically be placed on financial aid suspension.

Graduate and undergraduate students who fail to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards will be notified by letter from the Office of Student Financial Aid. Students on suspension may submit an Appeal Form and Academic Plan to the Office of Student Financail Aid. The appeal documents should be based on one of the three following categories that will initially be considered as circumstances that may negatively impact a student's ability to meet the required standards;

  • Death in the immediate family;
  • Illness/injury or medical condition; and/or
  • Extraordinary/exceptional circumstances.

Lack of transportation, unofficially withdrawing or excessive withdrawals and "I DID NOT KNOW OR WAS TOLD" are not considered reasons for academic deficiency.

Students who submit successful appeals will be placed on financial aid probation and have their academic progress monitored and referred to the universities' retention program in University College. Enrollment in the University Retention Program will result in the student's academic success at the end of the probationary period.

Financial Aid Appeal Process

Submit an Appeal Forn and Academic Plan and all supporting documentation to the Office of Student Financial Aid.

The submitted appeal will be reviewed by the University Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Committee
A letter of Approval/Denial will be mailed to the student. Appeal statuses will not be given over the phone.
The decision of the appeal committee is final.