Students, Faculty & Staff,
A phishing attempt is an attempt to collect confidential information from Internet users, typically by sending an e-mail that looks as if it is from a legitimate organization but contains a link to a fake web site that replicates the real one. The data that is obtained is then usually used for illicit purposes. You may safely disregard and delete the email.
Here are a few useful hints to help you determine the validity of an email that may be a phishing attempt:
· Receiving email from a suspicious source (or someone you don¹t know)
· Links in an email that take you to a website with which you have no affiliation
· Spoofing popular websites or companies
· Not addressing you by name
· In this case, please do not click the link inside the phishing email. The email may be safely ignored and deleted.
- DO NOT FORWARD EMAIL (Take screenshot of email)